John R. Steele & Associates is currently hiring veterinary technicians and assistants to work in Gordonsville, VA through the summer of 2021 and at the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington, FL from late November - April 2022.
Technicians and assistants are responsible for ensuring appointments run efficiently, maintaining equipment, and handling horses during examinations. Our staff also performs therapeutic treatments, including FES, Laser, and Shockwave.
Horse experience is a requirement, veterinary experience is not required. Training available for candidates that can communicate effectively, work in a team environment, and have a willingness to learn.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Daily Organizing: Scheduling appointments, Coordinating with barn managers at each appointment to keep workflow efficient, keeping the clinic organized, cleaning and stocking vet trucks daily, maintaining inventory stock list, daily record keeping and email communication.
- Handling Horses: twitching, jogging, lunging, bandaging, scrubbing for injections, venipuncture, administering vaccines and medications.
- Radiography & Ultrasonography: Setup, assisting in imaging, and uploading images to server.
- Performing FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation Therapy), Laser and Shockwave therapies.
- Blood and Laboratory Work: processing IRAP and PRP, analyzing fecal samples, and preparing blood samples and shipping to various labs for testing.
- Miscellaneous: driving to appointments, basic administrative tasks such as recording dispensed medications, running various clinic errands.
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Continuing Education